BLOGROLL

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Animal Prints

I read that in fashion world if there is one perennial pattern to own, it's animal print. From time to time it becomes trendy, as in last spring, or as this and this, which AT added it for the fall items. I always thought wearing animal prints could either be chic and tasteful, or just produce an fashion nightmare. Kind of a dangerous game. Therefore it was not on my list for a daily outfit until I saw this skirt from BR. I 'm very much fond of the brown zebra strips blending with a touch of yellow, as well as the linen fabric. You can also be creative with the belt, front, side, back; bow tie, simple knot... , it just can be so versatile. Oh, did I mention it has pockets too?
Here are a few tips I learned for wearing animal prints:
•Keep your silhouette simple, elegant and sleek. To keep things tasteful, limit the print to one item at a time.
•You are not a lion; don't wear a wild mane. Save big hair for less courageous fashions.
•If your fashion sense is a bit too tame to tackle large blocks of animal print, play it safe and look for animal patterns in smaller items or accessories.
Do you own any animal print? How do you like to wear it?
Have a great weekend!










Outfit Details:
Top: Ann Taylor.
Skirt: Banana Republic, sz P0.
Shoes: Michael Kors
Bracelet: NY & Co.
Necklace: J Crew.

6 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I'm 'cool' enough to wear animal prints yet :) But I think if done right it can look very sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on the fact that animal prints can be worn like a disaster so many different ways. It's an art to pull it off. I love this skirt. It was done just right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the same with PetiteXXS. I have an animal print sweater in my closet since last fall, and I haven't figure out how to wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PetiteXXS, I agree it is hard to work the balance while polish the look. That's why I chose the one barely "wild". :) Maybe start with something small?
    Vicky, Thanks. It's a reletively easy skirt. Hope someday I could come out an art piece.
    Sydney, AT fall collection has many animal print top. A solid color skirt, which I believe you have many, :)and a belt maybe can balance it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is perfect on you! So very safari chic. I recently purchased some muted leopard print fabric on sale thinking I'd decide what to do with it later, but I think you have just convinced me that it was meant to be a skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This outfit is so cute! Love that skirt!

    http://www.afashionfixation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete